What is a House in Multiple Occupation?

A House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) can vary from a bed-sit where each letting usually has its own kitchen but a shared bathroom, to room-let type lettings where tenants rent a room but kitchen and bathroom facilities are shared. As a general rule of thumb the Landlord is liable for the council tax. The Landlord must apply for a HMO licence, details of how can be found on the council's website.